Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Falling in love

For me, falling in love with my baby has been a slow burn.  I wish it started out like a raging forest fire, but sadly, that's not the way it began. 

We began with her coming at 33 weeks instead of 40.  We began with me holding her 4 days after she was born, instead of instantaneously.  We began with me holding her hand through a plastic hole.  We began with me feeding her through a tube inserted in her nose.  It wasn't traditional, but we had a lot of things to work around for love to begin.

When she finally came home a month after she was born, that's when our love started, and it's been growing ever since.  Today, I finally realized what an awesome adventure we are on.  We went to a music and reading class at the library.  It was fun singing the songs and doing the actions, but then something magical happened, bubbles.

Bubbles filled the room during one of the songs, floating and sparkling in the light.  It would have been nice enough with just the other little babies laughing and giggling and trying to pop every one, but when Diana saw bubbles for the first time, I saw the wonder in her eyes and I almost started to cry.  Key word is ALMOST.  I held it together.  But, I finally realized, I get to experience magic again with Diana.  I get to see Christmas lights and butterflies and snowflakes and tadpoles through her eyes.  That's pretty amazing.  And it's making me love her all the more.   

No comments:

Post a Comment