Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Staying Satisfied

There is an urge within me to always wonder what could have been.  What MIGHT have happened had John and I chosen to stay in Wisconsin?  What MIGHT have happened if I stayed at my old job instead of taking this new one?  The list can go on. 

I also have an urge to wonder, could there be more that I'm missing?  There is also an urge in me to find the next best thing.  I am that girl constantly peering over the fence saying, "that grass looks a little greener...LET'S MOVE THERE!"  Slowly and surely, I am resisting that urge to take a peek and just start settling into the beautiful world around me. 

Cheryl Strayed said it best, "I’ll never know and neither will you of the life you don’t choose. We’ll only know that whatever that sister life was, it was important and beautiful and not ours. It was the ghost ship that didn’t carry us. There’s nothing to do but salute it from the shore."


Right now, those might-have-been lives just feel like stuffing for the nest I'm currently building in the present. They are only a part of the beautiful whole I currently have.  Right now, our home is so lovely and full and our lives are so full and lovely. 

It is time to curl on the couch, take a sip of tea, and take inventory of the great and beautiful life laid in front of me.  And here I am.  Saluting everything that could have been.  I am sure those other lives could have been just as wonderful as the life I currently find myself in, and yet, they were not meant to be...and that's ok.       

No comments:

Post a Comment