Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Starting Over.

I'm starting over.  I've been inspired lately by every day acts of courage.  One blogger, Elizabeth Ivie, recently started writing again and she is eloquently able to explain how I feel regarding starting to blog again:

"Here's the thing, the seventh grade is like a teacher fan club. Any older and they're on to you. Any younger and they don't get you yet. But the seventh grade will worship the ground you walk on. They think your jokes are funny. They want you to tell them stories. They want you to read to them. They copy your outfits and adore your baby. It's my teacher dream world, though it's not for everybody. I once met a seventh grade teacher who hated her kids. She despised how needy they were. She didn't want to be their mother. But I loved it. When a kid loves/respects you as a human being, the teaching just falls into place.

So, I decided, when I did come back to blogging (hi), I'd write the kind of blog I'd want my students to be reading, if I were to recommend one to them.

Just like I wanted to teach them to be reflective, compassionate, smart kids with my lessons every day, I can do those things here."

She is lovely.  Hopefully I can find my own voice, and begin to start again.

-Mal


1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog on the recommendation of one of your students, and I have to say, 'What a gem!'

    ReplyDelete